While we have had to change most of our normal activities, one thing should not change–taking care of your mental health. Actually, this is the time to prioritize it. Even if you are not panicking right now about the coronavirus pandemic, we are all especially vulnerable to stress, anxiety, excessive worry, depression, and feelings of helplessness–and the way we react to these will affect our family members.
If you have been seeing a therapist, this is definitely not the time to stop; rather you should continue treatment and be aware of any worsening symptoms. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, I recommend that you contact us to start talking to one of our therapists:
- Fear/worry about your own health and the health of your loved ones
- Fear/worry about the economy, job security, or your personal finances
- Changes in sleep or eating patterns
- Difficulty sleeping or concentrating
- Worsening of chronic health problems
- Increased use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs
- Sadness or feeling like you want to harm yourself
Love yourself, you deserve it!