Routine and familiarity are the enemies of brain health. It is essential to challenge your brain with new experiences and new learning.
If your daily habits and activities are done unthinkingly and with minimal effort, your brain is being degraded.
Ways to Change Your Brain
- Make steady, measurable progress with new learning
- Count every little improvement as a success.
- Reward yourself.
- Increase the level of demand: If what you do doesn’t matter, if you don’t have to try to succeed, nothing much will change.
- Do things that are satisfying and rewarding and create positive feelings.
- New learning that demands your ATTENTION AND FOCUS and is progressive.
- Consciously improve your skills.
- Skills and new learning that can never be mastered are good.
Activities that can create neuroplasticity: learning a new language; adult education classes; meeting new people; learn how to play an instrument; take voice lessons, singing; really listen; practice remembering and using people’s names; jigsaw puzzles; and do mental mapping rather than GPS.
Ready to change your thinking and your brain? Schedule an appointment with me!