Are you feeling stuck? Wishing that you could make more progress towards your goals? Moving forward begins with examining our own habits, because typically we are getting in our own way, creating our own roadblocks. Moving forward requires honest reflection and a willingness to try something new.
Here are 10 ways to move forward:
- Stop letting the opinions of others control your life. Its not what others think that is important, its what you think about yourself that matters. You are the expert on your life and need to do what is best for you. What is best for you is not necessary what is best for others, and that is OK.
- Give up feeling shame about past failures. Your past does not equal your future and a bad situation doesn’t mean a bad life. What matters most is what you do now.
- Be more decisive about what you want. You can’t leave where you are until you decide where you would rather be. Figure out what you want and pursue it with passion. You can’t rise higher than you can see yourself.
- Stop procrastinating on the goals that are important to you. You really only have two choices in life- accept the conditions as they are or accept the responsibility to change them. The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago; the second best time is now.
- Quit choosing to do nothing. There are many things you can’t control, but you can decide how you are going to live your life. Doing nothing is a choice and every minute is a new chance to choose.
- You don’t always need to be right. Of course you want to aim for success, but that doesn’t require that you are always right. In fact, when you are never wrong, you give up opportunities to learn new things.
- Stop running from problem that should be fixed. Face these issues. They will follow you no matter where you go. Fix the problems, communicate, appreciate, forgive and love the people in your life who deserve it.
- Don’t make excuses instead of decisions. You just don’t get anywhere otherwise. It really is true- nothing ventured, nothing gained.
- Remember to look at the positives in your life. Many times what you see is what you are looking for. You will have a hard time being happy if you aren’t able to notice and appreciate that good things that are happening in your life right now.
- Take time to appreciate the present moment. Whether or not you are moving forward, pay attention to what is going on in the moment. Often we try to achieve big accomplishments and forget to appreciate the things we have right now. The best things in life are most often the little things- what are one or two small things that you can appreciate today?
Get unstuck. Do something different and different things will happen. And enjoy the journey.