If you research the health benefits of journaling, you might be amazed at how many benefits there are–just from writing! Here are just a few of the benefits I found:
- strengthens immune cells
- decreases the symptoms of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis
- improves sports performance
- diminishes symptoms of depression, anxiety, panic, substance abuse, PTSD, asthma, arthritis, and many other health conditions and disorders
- improves cognitive functioning
- counteracts many of the negative effects of stress
Journaling is beneficial for several reasons. Writing engages both the left and right brain, which allows for insight and unexpected ideas and solutions. It also can help a person to identify patterns as well as progress.
Journaling is for everyone, there is no “journaling type of person” and there is no way to do it wrong. To begin a journaling habit:
- Find a journal that you want to use. Here are some good choices:
- Journal for at least 20 minutes a day.
- Forget about spelling and write quickly so as not to censor your thoughts.
- Don’t worry about what to write, just start.
Journaling does not replace counseling, but it can make it more effective. Therapists at Yurk Counseling Services LLC can provide journaling ideas that are specific to your individual needs. To learn more about how you can benefit from journaling, contact Yurk Counseling Services today.