1. Educate yourself and others about mental illness.
2. Do not label people who have a mental illness. People are not a diagnosis. Say “has a mental illness” rather than “is mentally ill.”
3. Do not use disrespectful terms such as “psycho,” “crazy,” “lunatic,” etc.
4. Encourage understanding that mental illness is like physical illness – it is not a moral failure or something a person can just “get over.”
5. Show empathy and compassion for individuals with living with mental illness.
6. Spread the word that treatment works and recovery is possible.
May is Mental Health Month. Contact Yurk Counseling Services LLC for a mental health evaluation today.